We have some real noise out there on a CNN blog along with some thoughtful comments.
We, the church of Jesus Christ, also have some problems with the young culture growing up in the West, including the USA, really fast. We are not reaching out to the millennials and we are not reaching the millennials. Rachel Evans wrote this blog for CNN describing her view of the state of the church vs. the millennials’ thinking and needs. She also used data from this survey. Rachel had mostly sound things to say because she was basing her comments on this survey, though she did add her own views. I did take issue with this thought:
…young evangelicals often feel they have to choose between their intellectual integrity and their faith, between science and Christianity, between compassion and holiness.
You see I don’t believe any of those pairings are incongruent. You, young, old and millennial can keep intellectual integrity and your faith. There is no disparity between the two. Thousands if not millions of Jesus followers are intellectual and cherish their faith.
Science lobs some attempts to counter some of the aspects of faith but truly nothing is incongruent between those realities either. I did say realities. Science is a quest to discover what is in the real and tangible world. Science does not satisfy in the non-tangible spheres of human existence. Also realize that many scientists today are believers in the God you and I look to. Many of the great early discoveries which lead to the fields of science we have today were pioneered by devout Jesus followers.
Now, I don’t get the “compassion” and “holiness” comparison. I don’t even see why there is a question. That is because the holiest entity in the universe is my God and He is full of compassion. In fact, He is the source of it! So, for me, there is no incongruence there. Maybe you see or understand why a millennial sees a disparity or incompatibility between the two. I can’t.
Enjoy reading the article.
- A New Cultural Movement (Good News Now)
- Response to Why Millennials are Leaving (Gospel Coalition)
- The Best Argument Against Christianity (Good News Now)
- The New Militant Atheism (Good News Now)
- Richard Dawkins and Atheism (Good News Now)
- A Little Snippet: Atheism vs. Christianity (Good News Now)
- Why millennials need the church (religion.blogs.cnn.com)
- How Not To Speak for a Generation: Rachel Held Evans on Millennials Leaving the Church (pietistschoolman.com)
- Let’s Keep Church Un-cool (Washington Post)
- ‘Breaking Bad’ and the evil within us all (religion.blogs.cnn.com)